Tuesday, April 22, 2008

I Hate My Dog

Years ago my wife and I got a great dog from a family that could no longer keep her. She was a mutt named Freckles with a bit of chow, collie, shepherd, and border collie. At first she was a pain in the ass, nipping at my heels because she didn't trust men, but eventually she warmed up to me and she was a fantastic dog. My wife and I loved her deeply, but unfortunately she died rather unexpectedly.

So after mourning, my wife wanted to get another dog. We searched animal shelters and finally came up with our current dog Gus, who looks very similar to Freckles, He's a cinnamon brown chow, shepherd, collie mix and he was a rescue dog that was abused. He instantly warmed up to Meva, but after 4 years he still fears me and quivers when I'm around or talking for a length of time. At times I've tried to bond with him in various ways, but each time I end up getting bitten or snapped at eventually. He's even freaked out during a thunderstorm and attacked me, bitten my daughter in the face (3 stitches there), bitten my friend's baby, and bitten Meva's uncle the day before he was going to take him.

And did I mention he has seperation anxiety and gets into the garbage when we leave the house, even going so far ans to getting on the counters and eating food that might be left out there?

So, as I really don't care for him, but I don't want to send him to the pound.

Then there was this week.

He started by eating a loaf of Irish Soda Bread that my friend Colleen went out of her way to make for us. Then last night he ran into the screen door trying to come into the house and I think it's going to require a new screen. But the best news is how he destroyed our central air conditioner.

No, he didn't attack it or knock it over, he simply peed on it repeatedly, causing it to corrode and eventually led to the fan motor seizing up and the condenser motor burning out. It costs so much to fix that we're going to have to get a brand new one. Yeah, I wanted to pay for that.

Man, I hate that dog.

I haven't written in awhile for various reasons, most recent being that I'm sick and so are the triplets. Their moods and attitudes are up and down and very demanding, so it leaves me exhausted and with very little time for much else. Hopefully as things improve and get back to normal I'll be able to update much more frequently.

But on the plus side, despite the humidity and heat of today, thanks to Gus I was able to honor Earth Day and not run my AC!

Stupid Dog.

17 comments:

Cary said...

lol yeah. stupid dog. get to feeling better sir!

Tutu Lou said...

You don't have Chineese restaurants? He would be very popular........on the menu as Chow Chow Mien. I am surprised he is still at the house. Get well Bro. The Bears need you in good health Saturday. :)

Brant W. Fowler said...

Wow, yeah, that's a demon dog! lol.

Get well, man, you gotta shake all these colds and bugs!

dragonfuze said...

Can you let the dog go outside?

Unknown said...

It is irresponsible to keep a dog that has bitten your child. It could happen again and could end up being worse. This dog is unpredictable. You should not feel guilt if you have to take him/her to the pound. Who is more important? The dog or your children? I know the answer is your children so erase the guilt with that thought and do what is best for your family. Take care.

jufrigillana said...

get rid of that dog!! I wouldve gotten rid of it loong time ago... no dog that bites children should be kept... what a bad dog!!!

Unknown said...

That sucks my girlfriend and I want to adopt a dog so I googled 'I hate my dog' and I got this site. Crap! I hope I don't get a shit dog like this one.

Anonymous said...

that racist comment from the douchebag about chinese food isn't funny. Stupid ass!

Anonymous said...

i hate my dog for simpler reasons. she is always screaming and yelping at me when we get outside, making the neighbors think im doing something awful to her. she is a bitch with an attitude and a sly one at that. she poops everywhere and her ears STINK!!

Elke said...

I can sympathize. I hate my Doberman, he's an ungrateful little shit head.

Anonymous said...

Coming late to this.. but what happened to the dog? Did you keep him? I most likely would have tried some strict crate training, but you would be well within your rights to get rid of a dog that's been a biter. Let alone an air-conditioner-pisser and a soda bread eater!

Erin said...

you guys should visit the blog at www.hatemydog.com. its totally relevant and hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Your dog (a chow, one of the top five biting breeds) bit your kid in the face and you're letting that slide? Please read this: http://dogbitelaw.com/advice-for-parents-about-getting-keeping-dog/having-the-wrong-dog.html

When a dog nips, he often goes on to nip harder. If he does, he then may go on to bite. That is what has started here.

Additionally, the threat is not only to your children but to you too. Throughout the USA at this minute, a number of parents are on trial for child endangerment and even homicide because they continued to own dogs that nipped their children, who eventually were seriously injured by the dogs. (See "Mother Appears for Pit Bull Hearing," Rocky Mountain News, Dec 16, 2005.)

Furthermore, if the dog bites another kid, you will be subject not only to criminal liability but punitive damages because of your knowledge of the dog's history.

Wait. It gets worse. If you are hit with a judgment of punitive damages, the bankruptcy court will not discharge it. In other words, you will not be able to get around it, even by declaring bankruptcy. It will ruin you financially.

There is simply no justification for keeping this dog. You can replace it with another breed that will be good for your kids and not present you with the daily threat of jail and financial ruin. Not to mention the moral issue of keeping a dog known to be dangerous. That is something that a responsible, caring person should never do.

If you need to see some photos of kids with their faces ripped off, I have them and can show them to you. They will make you sick. But you are on the road to that, and I want to help you make your decision.

Anonymous said...

Take the bitch out back and shoot it in the head. FUCK DOGS, FILTHY FUCKING CREATURES. THEY ARE WORTHLESS. I FUCKING HATE MINE TOO.

Anonymous said...

We adopted an abused dog too, and it sounds exactly the same as yours! She's a big mixed breed and she's got to be the most annoying, stupid dog in the whole universe...doesn't listen, paces and pants whenever someone comes to the house, barks steady, refuses to go outside or scratches until someone lets her in (we've gone through 2 doors) has crapped and peed on the floor on many occasion, tries to hog the attention from our pug, (who I love and adore) sheds all over the place.... the list goes on. I regret getting her and want to give her back to the shelter but they won't take her back because a neighbour complained that she tried to bite his daughter. I hate to say it but I would never ever get an abused dog again.

K said...

Thats how I feel about my dog. Of course my dog isn't as bad. e just nips at me. and IT HURTS

K said...

thats How I feel bOUT MY dog. Of ourse he isn't that bad. He nips at my hands and his teeth hurt! any help?