Tuesday, February 13, 2007

A Blizzard of Activity

Seems like things have been pretty snowy as of late around the country. We didn't get 12 feet of snow like some places already have, but we do have some. I for one enjoy the snow and the change of seasons we get here in the Midwest, it makes you appreciate the Spring and Summer even more.

Well, we've definitely got a blizzard out here. I think we've gotten almost 6 inches already today. It's a very light and powdery snow that is easily blown......mostly into my driveway and front walk it seems! Today I had almost 2 foot drifts in my driveway between my house and my neighbor's house, but next to nothing by the street. Still, I think it's fun and I actually enjoy shoveling the snow, it's a good exercise for a dead Winters day and something about digging yourself out of all that snow is refreshing to me.

My buddy Cary and I were talking via email last week and he's given me the necessary nudge and push to get my writing more active. To that end I am finishing up a story so that I can put together a team of talent to enter in the Small Press Idol contest over at Dimestore Publications. I'm going to save any type of big discussions about this whole event for my other blog, The Comic Book Observatory. You can check there for my info and thoughts about it since it relates directly to comic books.

The big photo up at the top wasn't taken last night, but it was taken at 2:00 in the afternoon in front of my house. I took it when I went to get the mail. It's my street looking east. It's funny looking at the picture and seeing how dark and overcast it is outside. The next picture is from the top of my driveway. It's a footprint I made 5 minutes earlier on my way to the mailbox. After I snapped a few pictures my batteries went dead so I ran in the house to get more and when I came back my footprint was half filled in!! That's some nasty wind.

This next photo is of my driveway. The drift on the left is natural and one I haven't touch, the one on the right against the house is from a path I shoveled out about 4 hours ago. It's already filling back in and the drift on the left is getting bigger. I normally wouldn't even be concerned, but I want to have a path to get my garbage cans through tomorrow for garbage day. The last photo is just of my house from my mailbox across the street. Like I said, it's 2PM in the afternoon and it looks like it's almost dark out! I was playing around with some effects on it and when I switched the picture to grayscale for a black and white effect, it looked almost identical because it's so oppressively gray and overcast outside.

Anyways, that's the fun I've been having today with the weather. Luckily we don't have it as bad as some other places, but it's still fun nonetheless.

No comments: