Tuesday, July 24, 2007

I Feel Slimey

Any time my life has a connection to sex offenders that goes beyond my species or address, it makes me feel a bit sick. What am I talking about? The news that MySpace just canceled the accounts of 29000 registered sex offenders from their member list! Granted, there are over 180 million people on the site and 29k is a lower percentage, but it's still a connection that I don't care for. It's guys like the one in the picture to the left that really make this a sick and twisted society.

One of the saddest and funniest stories I've heard lately is what is calling the Furry Grim Reaper. There's a cat in a nursing home in Rhode Island that "predicts" a terminally old person will die in a few hours. The article talks about how this brings closure to the families that are notified that their loved one has been visited. Or maybe we should be saying "Marked." Maybe it's just me, but my first thought would be, "Is that animal contagious?" or "What is that thing getting into that might be causing frail old people to be pushed over the edge?" But no, this nursing home puts up a plaque on the wall to "commemorate" the cats' contribution!! Unbelievable! Doesn't anyone in Rhode Island have a bologna detection kit? Seriously though, these are OLD PEOPLE who are hooked up to life support machines, and when their extremities turn blue and their breathing becomes labored, there are just a few possible outcomes that we'll see.

My brother Cecil and his buddy Tom have put up another episode of their podcast, Everyone's A Critic. You can either use the link on the right or you can do a search for it on iTunes.

The NFL training camp season is upon us and I can't think of many more times throughout the year that I look more forward to. Of course it helps that the Bears are still strong favorites to return to the Superbowl (although the odds and history are against them) and for some reason my Cubbies have decided to make this an interesting season and are competing for the MLB playoffs. That doesn't happen that often ladies and gentlemen, and considering a subpar Cardinals team won last year, anything is possible.

And I'm just a few weeks away from the Chicago Comic-Con!!

No comments: