Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The Holidays Part 1

Well, the first of the holidays have come and went and life has now officially become more hectic, more surreal, and more silly. It's just the nature of things and as much as I hear people complain about it, (myself included) I really do enjoy it.

We had a rather small gathering here at our place this year, just my wife's parents and her youngest sister. We had a great time together and my wife made a wonderful turkey that was the most juicy and delicious bird I have ever had. She put a nice thick apricot glaze on it and injected a butter marinade under the skin. This bird was so moist that when I was carving it kept breaking apart. That's just a good bird right there.

The Thanksgiving weekend wasn't much of a holiday for me though. Working retail really sucks when you're part of a service economy and instead of shopping or hanging with my family, I was working on Black Friday. It wasn't totally bad, as I made close to $800 that day, which is always nice! But I would have rather made that on another day and had time to spend with family. I also ended up not working on either Saturday or Sunday though; Saturday because of baby shower that I wanted to attend, and on Sunday I had an accident that really wiped me out.

I was in my bedroom and I was getting ready to leave and walk out the bedroom door when I got distracted. Not paying attention, I went to exit very quickly and I walked straight into my door!! Now, I'm not talking about walking into a closed door, I'm talking about walking into the small, solid side of an open door. I walked head on into it and just smashed my head and face against the edge so hard that I am surprised I didn't break it. (If you know me personally you know exactly what I mean here). It hurt quite a bit and I have a nicely injured face and forehead and some rather sensitive and nasty lumps on the top of my head. I've had some nasty headaches since then and it hurts tremendously when I bend down. Ouch!

With all that excitement I am a bit behind on getting my Christmas decorations up, but that ok as I expect to have that completed almost entirely tomorrow. I don't do anything fancy yet, but I do want to make it nice. We are supposed to have snow at the end of the week, so I'd like to get this done quickly before the cold and snow appear. We'll see how far I get, but the weather isn't cooperating as it is pouring outside now while we speak. Looks like I'll have to burn the remaining leaves the hard way.

Once again it's late and I really should get some sleep before the kids get up in the morning, they got up at 5am this morning. I will try and post again real soon.

No comments: