Monday, November 17, 2008

Ignorance

So yesterday was an absolutely horrible day in Chicago if you are a Bears fan. They got slapped around and manhandled in the most embarrassing game I've seen since getting their asses handed to them on a Halloween Monday night loss. Both loses came at the hands of the Packers, which sure doesn't help. About the only thing I can find of comfort is that I think the Bears played as hard as they could and I don't think they quit. Unfortunately that means they are bad, poorly coached, and lacking talent.

Of course, I think I would feel even worse if I was a Philadelphia Eagles fan. They played to a tie with a very messed up and pathetic Bengals team. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. The only problem is that many of the Eagles players didn't know it. Even 10 year veteran and face of the franchise Donovan McNabb, who was playing in 2002 when the last tie happened, was ignorant.

"I've never been a part of a tie. I never even knew that was in the rule book," McNabb said after the game. "It's part of the rules, and we have to go with it. I was looking forward to getting the opportunity to get out there and try to drive to win the game. But unfortunately, with the rules, we settled with a tie."

I found that quote on ESPN. You don't get to be an NFL player if you don't at least grow up watching the game as a kid, following your favorite players, learning some of the games' history, and the basic rules. Heck, checking the standings from time to time you'll see a column for ties. Yet he missed it. Just dumb.

And it gets better. Instead of just explaining his ignorance, he bitches and moans about it as though this is some ill-conceived part of the NFL that is poorly thought out and the owners and rule-makers are as guilty as he is.

"I guess we're aware of it now," McNabb said. "...... I never knew in the professional ranks it would end that way. I hate to see what would happen in the Super Bowl and in the playoffs."

He's played in an overtime game in the playoffs, yet he doesn't realize that a playoff game, or Superbowl, can't end in a tie?? After 10 years you'd think he might try to learn a little something about the industry he works in. It just makes me think that many of today's athletes really are nothing more than whiny, spoiled, paycheck players that don't understand what they're doing and probably don't realize how fortunate they are to play in the NFL.

Not only didn't he win on the field yesterday, but it looks like he had a few losses elsewhere as well! Idiot.

No comments: